- Whether it’s being too busy to get that workout in, or not wanting to go out in the cold Autumn months, we’re all guilty of skipping the gym for days (even weeks or months) at a time
- As that subscription fee comes out of your account every month, you feel guilty but never do anything about it
- So, how do you push yourself to get back on that waggon and start again? Here are 6 tips.
1. Pack your gym kit and go workout straight after work, rather than going home first
You go home after work to get your gym kit, but the very moment you sit to watch some TV, you are NOT leaving that sofa.
It’s so much harder to go home then back out again, so give yourself no excuse to not get to the gym. Pack your kit and leave it in your car boot, ready to drive straight to your class.
2. Take 5 minutes to plan your next few days of exercise
Whether it’s on a Sunday night before next week or a random 5 minutes to yourself, make a plan and stick to it.
Write it up and stick it somewhere you’ll see it often – whether it’s on your bathroom mirror or the fridge. Once you complete a one part of it, tick it off!
This will motivate you to do more.
3. Make a date with your friend to workout
Working out with a friend helps to keep you motivated on the machines. You’ll be less likely to bail because of it.
Think about it – whenever you work out on your own, you’re more likely to tell yourself you’ve had enough when really you just can’t be bothered.
Having someone telling you to keep going is much better for that!
4. Set up a playlist of bangers
Love Metal or EDM, music is an essential for good workouts – proven by the psychology behind it!
If you need inspiration to go back to the gym after a while, set up a playlist of your favourite songs. Absolute bangers that you know gets you back into it.
Combine that with the gym kit in your car and just get yourself back into it, and you’ll be back in no time.
5. Try something new
One of the key reasons why people drop out of the regular gym routine is because you get bored of the same old thing easily.
Mix things up – keep your muscles on their toes and change things for the better to keep your strength (and interest) up.
6. Sleep in your gym gear
This one’s weird, but if you want to get to the gym nice and early without losing sleep, sleep in your gym kit.
Shorts and a t-shirt can be just as comfortable as your PJs, and it means you can just roll out of bed and into the gym.