Looking for the perfect high protein soup recipe? Look no further
The perfect winter warming soup for when those cold nights draw in, this high protein soup recipe is ideal for those of you looking for a healthy soup for work or a delicious and filling, quick and easy meal packed with high protein foods.
Super easy to prepare and full of veggies, this lentil soup is sure to hit the spot over the coming colder months. Low in calories, rich in iron and high in protein, lentils make a great soup staple and help to keep you feeling fuller for longer.
What can I add to soup for protein?
High in protein and fibre, chickpeas are a great everyday essential to keep stocked in your kitchen cupboards.
Left over chicken from a Sunday roast is great for making a hearty and filling chicken pho noodle soup and is a low fat source of protein. Gammon or minced turkey also work well stirred into your favourite winter warming soup.
Pulses and beans
A cheap and easy way to bulk out your soup and up your protein intake, butterbeans and kidney beans are a great soup staple, as well as chickpeas and lentils.
Nuts and seeds
A sprinkling of sunflower or pumpkin seeds and flaked almonds over a warming soup can really transform it and add a little extra crunch, as well as giving your body a boost.
Calories 228 per serving
Protein 23g per serving
Total Carbs 30g
Total Fat 6g
Minutes to Prepare: 5
Minutes to Cook: 25
Number of Servings: 2
· Half an onion
· ½ cup of sliced carrots
· ½ of lentils
· 3 minced cloves of garlic
· 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
· 1tsp of parsley
· 1tsp of cayenne pepper/pepper flakes
· 2tsp of basil
· ½ cube of stock
· 3oz chicken breast chunks
· 3oz (12) of cherry tomatoes
1.Add 4 cups of water to a saucepan and bring to the boil
2. Slice half an onion thinly to make about 1/2 cup. Add this and 1/2 cup sliced carrots to the boiling water
3. Add 1/2 cup dry lentils to the pan along with 3 minced cloves of garlic, you can adjust to taste
4. Throw in 1cup sliced mushrooms along with the spices: 1tsp each of parsley & cayenne pepper or pepper flakes and 2tsp basil and 1/2 cube of stock
5. Add 3oz of chicken breast chopped into small pieces & 3oz (around 12) cherry tomatoes cut in half. Stir the pot, reduce the heat to medium, and leave for a few minutes to rest. Return to the pot and give it a stir, by now it should be of a thicker consistency. When the liquid is reduced by half, you know the soup is done!