A Sunday dinner classic but without the added calories
The ultimate comfort food but without the added calories, our version of toad in hole uses less oil in the batter and reduced fat sausages, so you can still enjoy this family favourite without compromising on taste!
Sat Fat: 6.4g
· 6 x Low fat sausages
· 3 x Medium sized eggs
· 275ml Semi skimmed milk
· Salt & pepper to taste
· 125g Plain flour
· Low calorie cooking spray
For the sage and onion gravy
· 1 x Large onion finely sliced
· 500ml of beef stock
· 4-5 Sage leaves
· 1 tbsp. plain flour
1. Add your flour, eggs and milk to a large bowl and whisk together until smooth. Adding a pinch of salt for extra flavour, then leave to stand for 2 minutes.
2. Preheat your oven to 210ºC, spray your baking tray with low calorie cooking spray. Ensure your tray is covered then place in the oven to preheat.
3. Take a large non-stick frying pan, spray with low calorie cooking spray, add in your sausages and cook on a medium heat until they’re slightly brown.
4. Once your baking tray is hot, pour half of your mixture on top, adding your sausages. Then pour the other half on top and place back in the oven for 20–25 minutes. Don’t open the oven door for at least 20 minutes!
5. For the gravy, add your low calorie cooking spray to a pan and add your onions and cook until soft.
6. Add 500ml of beef stock and 1 Tbsp. of flour and stir until nice and thick. Throw in sage leaves and leave to simmer.
7. After 25 minutes your toad in the hole will be done. Plate it up, pour on your gravy and serve with green veggies.